THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER!
Linda Evans’ new book Recipes for Life has just been published and 3 of my lucky readers can win a copy!
About the Book
Ever since her dazzling breakout performance in television’s “Big Valley,” gorgeous and gracious Golden Globe award-winner Linda Evans has been collecting recipes from world-renowned chefs, celebrities, and friends, including Barbara Stanwyck, John Wayne, Tony Curtis, and others to share with those she loves. After entering the movie world and starring with leading men such as Richard Burton, Steve McQueen, George Peppard, and of course John Forsythe, in the TV megahit “Dynasty,” Linda continued her love affair with cooking.
Now, in RECIPES FOR LIFE: My Memories (Vanguard Press; October 2011; $25.99), written with her stepdaughter Sean Catherine Derek, Linda Evans candidly dishes stories of growing up to live and play among Hollywood’s royalty, showcasing more than 75 photos of her life and career, many from her private collection, and interspersing her insights from her journey toward empowerment and spiritual peace with more than 40 favorite recipes — all linked to a memorable experience from her life. Both her reminiscences and her recipes include tangy, tart and sweet. Magical memories mix with painful ones, and her sugar-topped dessert Peach Heaven is included with dinners like the flavorful, spicy Puerco Picante. Publishers Weekly calls it “entertaining … a madcap fairy tale filled with magical moments, romantic adventures, friendships with the rich and famous, and personal challenges … with applications far beyond Hollywood and the kitchen.”
Linda Evans has dined with kings, queens, and presidents, been invited to the White House, and met Pope Paul, but as a teenager she witnessed her parents turn to alcohol, and mourned her father’s death when she was 15. She enjoyed great loves but there was heartbreak behind her high-profile romances. She recounts meaningful moments of her inner life, too — how she learned to take the pressure of performance and turn it into excitement, reached for and claimed independence, and found a deeply enriching lifestyle in the Pacific Northwest.
In RECIPES FOR LIFE, Linda includes Mom’s Hot Dog Stew, a staple her mom could serve on their limited budget to young Korean War servicemen her cousin would invite over. She also relates:
- The reluctant non-audition that landed her first acting job, a national commercial, and how the “worst reading” that a director ever heard led to her debut appearance on “The Big Valley” as Audra, the daughter of Victoria Barkley, played by Barbara “Missy” Stanwyck, who became a nurturing figure in her life and acting career and inspired the recipe for Missy’s Hobo Fillet;
- Her marriage to actor/filmmaker John Derek, and their evenings with Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and John Wayne (she adds Duke’s Crab Dip), plus her long friendships with the three other ex-wives of John Derek — including Cathy Collins, aka Bo Derek, who was 15 when John fell for her and left Linda, and Ursula Andress, who joined Linda at a Playboy mansion costume party, both women dressed as boxers;
- How she ended up behind the camera, shooting dramatic footage of Evel Kneivel’s famous daredevil jump at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas;
- Breakfast with Richard Burton, who offered his guests tumblers of vodka;
- Her friendship with Nobu Matsuhisa, and why the celebrated chef credits Linda with inspiring his recipe for Hollandaise-like “egg sauce,” plus special dinners with Roger and Luisa Moore, David and Dani Janssen, Leslie and Tony Curtis (with their recipe for Lemon Soufflé with Raspberry Sauce), and others;
- A guest spot on “Circus of the Stars” that ended with the teeth of the 200-pound leopard Sheba in her chest, her somewhat less dangerous winning appearance on the British TV reality show, “Hell’s Kitchen,” working under Michelin-starred chef Marco Pierre White, and flying with the Blue Angels;
- How Rock Hudson protected her by refusing to kiss her deeply on “Dynasty” when he alone on the set knew he had the AIDS virus;
- The drive with her lively friend Bunky that landed her in jail, sharing her home with Bunky and Ursula Andress, whose regular visitor poolside was Sean Connery, and what happened at the White House when wild Bunky met Dom DeLuise, who was dressed like Count Dracula;
- Loving and living in the moment with musician and composer Yanni, and much more.
RECIPES FOR LIFE is a delicious and delightful look into the world of beloved actress and gourmet-caliber cook Linda Evans, memorably serving up the stories behind the so-called scandals, scintillating soirees, scrumptious steaks, salads, soups, and more.
# # #
About the Author
Linda Evans is a Golden Globe award-winning actress who has personified beauty and grace on screen and stage, from her role as Audra Barkley on “The Big Valley,” to the glamorous Krystle Carrington on “Dynasty,” winning the “Hell’s Kitchen” competition working under Michelin-starred chef Marco Pierre White, and starring on Broadway in “Legends.” She has won five People’s Choice Awards for Best Female Performer, was nominated for an Emmy, and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Recipes for Life is her second book.
Do any of you remember when Linda Evans played Audra Barkley in The Big Valley? I use to watch all the reruns after school when I was young. Check out this clip!
Do you remember Linda Evans in Dynasty? Here’s a clip of the infamous cat fight between Krystle (her character) and Alexis (played by Joan Collins).
I picked a super easy recipe to try from Linda’s book called Lose Your Figure Potatoes with Cheese and Garlic. It was rich and creamy and would go with anything!
Like all of her recipes, this recipe has a cute story behind it, involving the late actor Steve McQueen.
If you enjoy reading “behind-the-scene” Hollywood stories like I do, you will love this easy read! There are almost 50 recipes included in Linda’s book!
Learn more about Recipes For Life!
Buy the book!
Would you like to win a copy of Recipes for Life?
I will pick 3 winners!
Here’s what you need to do!
Mandatory Entry: Tell me why you’d like to win this book. Be sure to comment below. Don’t forget to include your email address in the designated email box in your comment.
Optional Entries (eligible after completing the mandatory entry above) You can do any or all of the following entries below for one extra entry each. The only thing you can do every day is tweet the giveaway! Please leave a separate comment (below) for each that you have done.
2. Become a fan of Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms on Facebook. (see side bar)
3. Mention this giveaway on Facebook using the button at the top of this post.
4. Follow me on Twitter. @JneDoiron
5. Tweet this giveaway using the button at the top of this post. (You can tweet once a day!)
6. Subscribe to my blog via email and never miss a post! (You’ll find it at the top of my sidebar.)
7. Follow me on Google Friend Connect.
8. Follow me on Networked Blogs.
9. Stumble this giveaway using the SU button at the top of this post.
10. Write a post about this giveaway on your blog. (Leave a link to your post.)
This giveaway will end on Monday, October 17th at 5 pm EST. THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER! It is open to the U.S. only. The winner will be chosen by random.org and will be contacted by email. Please respond within 48 hours or a new winner will be chosen. To be fair to everyone, the comments not meeting the requirements will be deleted. Good luck!