Beach House Baking
An Endless Summer of Delicious Desserts
By Lei Shishak
About the Author
Lei Shishak is an established pastry chef who trained at the CIA in New York and has worked at restaurants in Sun Valley and Los Angeles. Her formative years were spent working as Michael Mina’s pastry chef at the Stonehill Tavern at the St. Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point, California. She has been featured in People, Riviera Magazine, Sunset Magazine, Coast, the Los Angeles Daily News, Fine Living, and many more media outlets. She resides in Dana Point, California.
In her first cookbook, Pastry chef Lei Shishak shares her most popular recipes for morning treats, cupcakes, crisps, cookies, pies, ice cream sandwiches, frozen pops, and beverages from her celebrated Sugar Blossom Bake Shop in the charming beach town of San Clemente, California.
Inspired by her beach town location and her love of the sand-and-surf lifestyle, here are some of her “Beach” recipes:
- Surfin’ P.B.J. Cupcakes
- Piña Colada Highway Cupcakes
- Coco Hut Macaroons
- Boardwalk Butter Cookies
- Sweet and Salty Beach Bod Brittle
- Pumpkin Beach Ball Whoopie Pies
- Malibu Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Beach House Seashore Cobbler
- Windswept Cherry Pie
Don’t you love the names of these recipes?
Each recipe in the book has a beautiful, mouth-watering photo. I love the little stories that go along with each recipe. Many of them have an association with a particular beach or location that makes you feel like you’re taking a culinary journey around the world.
I made two recipes from this cookbook last weekend. We finally had some summer weather, so I made these Strawberry Frozen Pops.
They taste like Strawberry Sorbet. I love em’!
Do you want to make them? I have permission to share this recipe!
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice (1 lime wedge)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice (1 large orange)
- Clean, hull, and halve the strawberries. Place in the blender along with the lime juice and pinch of salt.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and orange juice to a simmer over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and pour over the strawberries in the blender. Process until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Divide the mixture among your pop molds. Freeze until partially frozen and then insert sticks. (*I placed plastic wrap over the jars before I froze them and inserted the popsicle stick through the plastic wrap. That way, the sticks are all set and you can forget about it.) Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- I used a food processor instead of a blender and it worked fine.
The second thing I made is the Bountiful Blueberry Scones.
Dave and I loved them! We could hardly keep our hands off of them when they came out of the oven!
I highly recommend this cookbook! I have bookmarked so many recipes, it’s ridiculous!
I’m giving away 3 copies of Beach House Baking!
(Open to the U.S. only.)
*To enter this giveaway, leave me a comment below about this cookbook.
*If you would like more chances to win, you can tweet about this giveaway (once a day). After you tweet, come back and leave me a comment telling me that you tweeted. Be sure to tell me your Twitter name so I can check that you did it. You can copy and paste this on Twitter: Enter to win a copy of Beach House Baking! @beachtownbaking @janedoiron #Spon http://tinyurl.com/lfglar4
I will pick 3 winners on June 20th at 5 p.m. EST. Good luck!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS OVER.
HERE ARE THE 3 WINNERS!
#103 Kris I.
Check your email!