We don’t go to the local Mexican Restaurant very often, but when we do, I usually order one chicken and one beef enchilada. They’re so good! Well, even though these enchiladas are not very photogenic, they taste pretty close to the ones I get at the restaurant.
I spotted this recipe on Facebook from chef-in-training.com and it’s truly the best beef enchiladas I ever made. The beef cooks all day in the slow cooker, so once the meat is cooked, it’s easy to throw together.
I wish I had better pictures to share with you, but I guess I was in a bit of a hurry this time and didn’t get too picky.
The beef might appear to be dry in the photo above, but between the refried beans, tender beef, thickened enchilada sauce and gooey melted cheese, these enchiladas were far from it. Dave and I think they’re awesome with a bit of sour cream! Can’t wait to make them again! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
- 1½ lbs. chuck stew beef
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crushed
- 10 oz. can Mild Enchilada Sauce
- *Wondra (to thicken the sauce after it is cooked)
- 16 oz. can refried beans
- 6 burrito tortillas
- 1½ cups Mexican shredded cheese
- Set the slow cooker on LOW.
- Place the beef in a single layer in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the beef with crushed bouillon evenly. Pour the enchilada sauce over the beef. Cook for 8 hours or until fork tender.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and shred with two forks.
- While the sauce is still piping hot in the slow cooker, add about 5 or 6 shakes of the Wondra into the sauce and whisk until thickened and smooth.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On the center of the tortilla, spread two tablespoons of warm refried beans.
- Spread ½ cup of the meat over the refried beans.
- Roll up the tortilla and place in the baking dish. Make 5 more enchiladas.
- Spoon the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream on the side.
- *Wondra is found in the flour section.