Disclosure: I received a copy of Recipes Across America. The opinions expressed here are 100% my own.
Taste of Home
Recipes Across America
This 512 page cookbook is loaded with 735 delicious recipes from the 5 regions (northeast, south, midwest, southwest and west). Like the Taste of Home magazine, each recipe mentions the home cook who submitted the recipe and where they’re from. Nearly every recipe is paired with a beautiful, colored photo.
Here are just some of the highlights from each region.
Northeast: Philly Cheese Steak, Yankee Pot Roast, New Haven Clam Pizza, Authentic Boston Brown Bread, Buffalo Chicken Wings, Amish Sugar Cookies and Brooklyn Blackout Cake
South: Shrimp Po-Boys, South Carolina-Style Ribs, Bacon Collard Green, Cheese ‘n’ Grits Casserole, Georgia Peanut Salsa, Sweet Potato Fries, Banana Pudding and Hummingbird Cake
Midwest: Church Supper Hot Dish, Onion Loose Meat Sandwiches, Cherry Wild Rice Salad, German Potato Salad, Chocolate-Covered Buckeyes, Golden Apple Snack Cake and State Fair Cream Puffs
Southwest: Arizona Chicken, Barbecued Beef Brisket, Chicken-Fried Steaks, Sizzling Tex-Mex Fajitas, Armadillo Eggs, Texas Caviar, Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce, Classic Fruit Kolaches, German Chocolate Cake and Tres Leches Cake
West: Buffalo Steak Salad, Chicken Long Rice, Pacific Rim Salmon, California Sushi Rolls, Green Goddess Salad Dressing, Romaine Caesar Salad, Utah Buttermilk Scones, Caramel-Frosted Potato Cake, Oregon’s Best Marionberry Pie and Lemon Tart with Almond Crust
I made the Prosciutto-Stuffed Meatloaf from the northeast section on page 14. Here are my photos!
Can you believe this meat loaf? Yes, it tastes as good as it looks! It is amazing! My family and I LOVED it!
I’m so happy to have permission to share the recipe with all of you!
Prosciutto-Stuffed Meat Loaf
From: Taste of Home Recipes Across America
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound whole fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups soft sourdough bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 5 ounces thinly sliced Havarti cheese
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in oil and butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and no liquid remains. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme and mushroom mixture. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture; mix well.
- On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat the beef mixture into a 15 x 10 x 1-in. rectangle. Layer the prosciutto, Havarti, basil and tomatoes to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seams and ends.
- Place loaf seam side down in a greased 13 x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 75-85 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°F. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter.
I also made the Hermits on page 88 from the northeast section! I didn’t mean to choose another recipe from my part of the country. I just wanted to make them because I knew Dave would love them.
These Hermits were a big hit! The flavor was spot on!
I highly recommend this cookbook! It is like a library of recipes!
It is available at Amazon.com.
If you would like to win a copy of Taste of Home Recipes Across America,
enter on the Rafflecopter widget below!
(Open to the U.S. only.)