Cinco de Mayo is almost here and I like to make a special dinner for my family. Nothing too fancy, but definitely memorable. A family favorite is homemade soft tacos with all the fixings! We like to make salsa, guacamole, and refried beans. Then we add some sour cream, cheese, meat and chips. As you can see, it’s a simple dinner, but what makes it so delicious are the homemade soft taco shells! They’re not a flat tortilla, but rather a thicker shell that’s able to hold all the fillings without falling apart.
I normally roll out my dough on a floured surface, but then I got the IMUSA Tortilla Press and I must say, it is so simple to use and it makes beautiful shells in a matter of minutes. They also have an Avocado Slicer that makes slicing avocados so fast. I’ll be using this all the time because I normally have avocado every day! As you can see in the top picture we used their adorable salsa dishes to add some flare to our dinner and we kept the soft taco shells nice and warm in the Cloth Tortilla Warmer. This is really neat because you warm it up in the microwave, place your shells in it and it’ll keep them warm for up to an hour. I loved how the shells stayed warm throughout the entire dinner. Plus you can toss it in the washer when you need to clean it!
- 2 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 3/4 C cold water
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Cut in the margarine until crumbly.
- Add water and mix until combined.
- Divide dough, and roll into balls.
- Place in a tortilla press and flatten or on a floured surface roll out into a circle.
- In a medium skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil and fry the shell on one side for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the shell over and fry an additional 2-3 minutes; until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel and repeat with remaining dough.
- This recipe makes about 8 medium shells; it can be doubled if you need more!
IMUSA is hosting an #IMUSAdeMayo photo contest! In order to enter the contest, all you need to do is share a photo of your favorite Mexican fare with IMUSA using the hashtag #IMUSAdeMayo between May 1st and May 5th. To be eligible to win a prize the user must submit at least one (1) photo and to be eligible to win the grand prize the user must submit a photo each day of the campaign, for five (5) days total. Visit www.facebook.com/imusausa for more information and send in your photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using hashtag #IMUSAdeMayo for a chance to win!